WHAT IS CASARA?
CASARA Edenvale, provides air search support services to assist National Defence’s Search and Rescue System to the public. CASARA Edenvale is a member of CASARA Ontario and the national Civil Air Search and Rescue Association.
Our volunteers, who receive no remuneration, are on call 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to assist those in need of search and rescue.
We are ready to respond in any situation
At CASARA Edenvale, we:
- Provide additional humanitarian and air search capability to the Canadian Armed Forces;
- Create awareness of aviation safety;
- Provide our time and expertise free of charge and provide aircraft and certified crew members for search operations and training missions;
- We provide certified spotters on Canadian Forces aircraft, rapid responses for actuals, search coordinators for actual SAR missions and perssonel to act as casulaties during military training;
- We are primarily tasked on SAR missions by the Joint Rescue Coordination Center (JRCC), located at CFB Trenton. In this regard, we will launch our own search based on the nature of the emergency which may include an air crew consisting of pilot, navigator and spotters in a private aircraft, or a ground crew, or both;
- We may also be called upon to supply certified CASARA members trained as spotters onboard military aircraft to act on board Canadian Forces SAR aircraft consisting of C-130 Hercules and Griffon from 424 Squadron.
Incorporated as a not-for-profit entity, Edenvale is a member of the Civil Air Search and Rescue Association (CASARA) and is one of several units across Ontario and Canada. CASARA’s mission is to support Canada’s Search and Rescue (SAR) program and to promote aviation safety.
- Air (JRCC)
- Missing or overdue aircraft
- ELT (Emergency Locating Transmitter)
- Marine (JRCC)
- Missing or overdue boaters
- EPIRB (Emergency Position Indicating Rescue Beacon)
- Humanitarian (OPP)
- Missing persons